Happy belated Mother’s Day to all of the wonderful mothers of two-legged children – or perhaps four-legged children; we still mother them all!
Here at Body Solace Studio we recently hosted a Mother/Daughter Partner Yoga class, and as for most of our events, I made a treat! (I’m sure many of you know how I love to cook and always love to make treats for our events!) I want to make sure everyone can enjoy my snacks, so I always do my best to accommodate anyone who has allergies or sensitivities to various foods. So, I pulled out one of my favorite and simple recipes that is gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and nut-free, as well as being vegan.
These squares are made with natural ingredients and sweetened only with maple syrup. No matter where I take them they are always a hit and I am always asked for the recipe, so I thought I would share it with you.
The best thing about these squares is you can make them according to your preference for chocolate intensity. What I mean by this is that you can make them more of a rich, dark chocolate flavor or maybe a little sweeter chocolate flavor; it all depends on your preference. These bars are super easy and you can either share them or store them in the fridge or freezer and save for when you want a little chocolate fix! (And no one has to know they’re in there!)
Healthy Chocolate Crunch Squares
Prep Time: 5 Minutes Chill Time: 30 Minutes Makes: 20-25 bars
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ – ¾ cup maple syrup– see note below
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups crispy rice cereal
Note: Using Nature’s Path Organic Crispy Rice Cereal will keep the added chemicals out of your recipe. This can be found in the natural section of most grocery stores, or in most natural health food stores.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. In a medium-size pot, melt over low heat the coconut oil. Once it has melted, whisk in the cocoa powder, you want to make sure all the lumps are gone. Then whisk in the maple syrup, salt, and vanilla. Take off the stove and add in the crispy rice cereal. Stir very well to coat all the cereal.
- Pour it into your pan and smooth it out. Now put it in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes until everything has hardened. (If you forget it like I have done and left it in the freezer for longer, it will be fine, but will be hard to cut, so leave out a few minutes to soften and slice.)
- Slice bars into desired sizes 20-25 is a nice snack size. Put into a sealable container and put back into the freezer. You can serve straight from the freezer or fridge (remember that because coconut oil will melt at warmer temperatures they will not keep on the counter. But, once you take them out of the fridge they will get eaten up right away anyways!)
Note: The amount of maple syrup you use will determine the sweetness of these. I use a ½ cup because I like mine more of a dark chocolate flavor. If you use ¾ cup of sweetener it will not be as intense of a chocolate flavor.